While you’re taking time to appreciate the people around you this Christmas remember to be kind to the environment too.
Here are the things to look out for when recycling this festive season:
- Non-biodegradable Glitter Cards, Ribbon, Bows and Tinsel can’t be recycled. Tinsel could be re-used for the following year, but if it is looking a bit worse for wear why not keep it to package any delicate gifts.
- Some wrapping paper is not recyclable. The best way to check is the classic Scrunch Test! Scrunch the paper up into a ball and if it springs back, it can’t be recycled, but if it stays in a ball then it can.
- You’re bound to have copious amounts of cardboard and paper this Christmas, so ensure you flatten your cardboard before it goes into the recycling bin so it takes up less room.
- After finishing your prosecco this Christmas, remember to put the glass bottles in the appropriate recycling bin ready for collection or take down to your local bottle bank.
- Sellotape cannot be recycled, so please take any bits off your wrapping paper or Christmas cards then dispose it into the general waste bin.
- Real Christmas trees can be recycled into compost or wood chippings. Some local authorities have special collections or organise drop off points. They can also be taken to your household waste recycling centre.
- Artificial Tress cannot be recycled. Unwanted Trees that are in good condition may be accepted by charity shops for re-sale or re use, otherwise they go into the general waste bin.
Please do get in touch if you need any help with anything regarding waste. 01344 620 316. You can also have a look at our Christmas Video which shows how to recycle each item.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New year from the Team at Shorts.